Emmanuel School of Religion
Master of Arts in Religion
Comparative Religious Studies
Degree Status: Refused to turn in my thesis because the school fired one of my professors for writing this article.
Missouri Southern State University
International Law, Languages
- The Human Faces of God: What Scripture Reveals When It Gets God Wrong (and Why Inerrancy Tries To Hide It). Foreword by John J. Collins. Eugene: Wipf and Stock Publishers, 2010.
- Hamid Dabashi, Islamic Liberation Theology: Resisting the Empire. New York: Routledge, 2008. Political Theology 12/6 (2011), forthcoming.
- James D. G. Dunn, Did the First Christians Worship Jesus? The New Testament Evidence. Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 2010. Stone-Campbell Journal 14/2 (Fall 2011), forthcoming.
- Richard A. Horsley, Covenant Economics: A Biblical Vision of Justice for All. Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 2009. Stone-Campbell Journal 14/1 (Spring 2011), 113-16.
- Mark J. Zia, What Are They Saying about Biblical Inspiration? New York: Paulist, 2011. Stone-Campbell Journal 15/1 (Spring 2012), forthcoming.
LECTURES AND PRESENTATIONS
- “Subverting the Sacred: The Politics of Script and Ritual in the Thought of Ali Shari’ati, with Reference to James C. Scott and Victor Turner.” Southeastern Commission for the Study of Religion Conference, Louisville, KY, March 2011.
- “Second Testament Christologies in the Context of Hellenistic and Apocalyptic Judaisms: Revisiting the Arian/Trinitarian Controversy.” Emmanuel School of Religion, Johnson City, TN, October 2010.
- “The Origins of Ancient Jewish Apocalyptic: Varieties and Continuities.” Emmanuel School of Religion, Johnson City, TN, November 2009.
- “Ancient Jewish Apocalyptic and Christian Origins: Problems and Prospects.” Emmanuel School of Religion, Johnson City, TN, November 2009
- “Devoted to Destruction: Human Sacrifice and Divine Retribution in Ancient Israel.” Stone-Campbell Journal Conference, Cincinnati, OH, April 2009
- “Economic Exploitation in the Parables of Jesus.” Ozark Christian College, Joplin, MO, April 2007
- “Apocalyptic Expectation in the Parables of Jesus.” Ozark Christian College, Joplin, MO, April 2007
ADMINISTRATIVE, ACADEMIC, AND EXTRA-CURRICULAR SERVICE
- Research Assistant, Emmanuel School of Religion, 2010-11
- Teaching Assistant, Emmanuel School of Religion, 2009–11
- Admissions Committee Member, Emmanuel School of Religion, 2009–10
- Friends of Amos Director, Emmanuel School of Religion, 2009–11
SCHOLARSHIPS, HONORS, AND AWARDS
- Cosgrave Tuition Scholarship – Emmanuel School of Religion, 2010–2011
- Ledbetter Scholarship for Graduate Essay Writing – Emmanuel School of Religion, 2009
- Fig Tree Scholarship for Academic Excellence – Emmanuel School of Religion, 2008–2010
- Dean’s Scholarship for Academic Excellence – Ozark Christian College, 2004–2008
- Dean’s List – Ozark Christian College, 2004–2008
- American Academy of Religion
- American Historical Association
- Society for the Scientific Study of Religion
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Biblical Greek
- Biblical Hebrew
RESEARCH AND TEACHING INTERESTS
Second Temple Jewish History and Religion, Christian Origins, Second Testament Christologies, Ancient and Modern Apocalyptic Sects, Global Theologies of Liberation (Christian and Islamic), Interreligious Dialogue, Anthropology of Religion, Postcolonial Studies (African, Latin American, and Middle-Eastern), Globalization, Economics, and Religion